Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock for the past decade, you’ve definitely noticed the ever increasing popularity of healthy eating. That’s a good thing. We’re getting healthier and looking better. With the popularity of clean eating, a lot of us are left wondering how to properly plan for catered events, –especially if some of the guests are not meat eaters. Add a couple of vegetarians to the guest list and suddenly everything just got complicated. Don’t worry. We’ve got you covered at Kettleman’s.
What to Serve to a Vegetarian
The dictionary defines a vegetarian as an individual that does not eat meat, and at times animal byproducts, for health, moral, or religious reasons. While this does seem rather limiting, that doesn’t mean you have to resort to the celery and carrot stick platter. Dinner can still be exciting (and delicious!)
- The Chef Salad- Not all salads are made alike, and while our classic Caesar and Bill salad are tasty and delicious, they contain meat and animal products that aren’t appropriate for a vegetarian’s diet. The chef salad at our Ottawa catering company, on the other hand, has cucumbers, black olives, garden fresh tomatoes, and crisp lettuce, all mixed together to create an exquisite and tantalizing meal. Perfect for the vegetarian pallet.
- Pita Wrap Platter- We offer three different types of pita wrap platters: chicken, roast beef, and vegetarian. Our veggie pitas contain no meat, but are filling and delicious.
- Veggie Platter- What says vegetarian more than vegetables? This large assortment contains a variety of veggies including broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and cucumbers, all served with a tzatziki dip. What is tzatziki dip? It’s a cold dip that is made from yogurt, salt, olive oil, garlic, and cucumbers. It is historically a Greek appetizer and is the perfect dipping sauce for any vegetable on our platter.
- Knishes- Looking for a feel-good, guilty food choice for the big game or to enjoy at a party? Try a knish. We offer both potato and spinach knishes, which included these ingredients wrapped in a pillow of scrumptious baked dough. You won’t be disappointed, and neither will your guests.
- Fresh Fruits- If you aren’t sure if your vegetarian friends eat cheese, skip the bagel with smear and instead dive into a platter of our fresh, season fruit. Enjoy strawberries, kiwi, oranges, apples, and grapes for a perfectly sweet and satisfying breakfast, brunch or snack platter.
Other Considerations When Serving Vegetarians
Now that you’ve found the perfect dishes for your vegetarian friends, don’t mess it all up by making mistakes the day of the big party or event.
- If you ordered meat and vegetarian dishes to please everyone, arrange them nicely on your buffet table with the other food. I think we’re past the days when the vegetarian friendly food is “on that table over there.” That just makes people feel awkward.
- Some vegetarians don’t eat dairy, cheese or eggs. Be sure to have all salad dressings and dips on the side and not pre-mixed into the salads. Remember, you’re intent is to please as many people as possible.
With the help of our Ottawa catering company, you can serve a meal or treat that will be sure to please even the strictest of vegetarians. Contact us today to set up your party now!